On Wed, 2007-08-29 at 17:59 +0000, James wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  So, I have decided to purchase an external (firewire)
> DVD burner that is known to be support by (gentoo) linux....
>
> Any recommendations?

sorry, no help from me here :)

[snip]

> At the very least, I need to be be able to combine them:
> M2U00001.MPG ..... M2U00043.MPG into a single image
> for burning onto a DVD. My goals is to be able to
> take video in lots of small files and combine them into
> an image and then burn several of these (game) images onto a
> single dvd for replay in an ordinary DVD player.

perhaps this should have been a separate email!  I've just been looking
at dvd authoring too.  Try out dvdstyler - http://www.dvdstyler.de/ - it
looks pretty good, at least in concept.  I haven't tried it yet.

I got the idea from a Linux World Expo presentation here:
http://www.greenfly.org/talks/multimedia/dvd.html
not bad reading.

I like the point it makes:

Don't use straight dvdauthor... unless:
      * You really enjoy editing large XML files hand
      * Making complex menus
      * Very familiar with DVD structure

I don't think that you will have to join your mpg's together, but trial
and error will prove that right or wrong!

HTH,

I had the rare misfortune of being one of the first people to try and
implement a PL/1 compiler.
                -- T. Cheatham