On 8/30/07, Volker Armin Hemmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Donnerstag, 30. August 2007, Arnau Bria wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I used genkernel for compiling kernel in my home server.
> > Yesterday I wanted to compile a new kernel, but this time by hand, so I
> > did:
> > 1.-) moved config.gz to .config in new /usr/src/linux link
>
> yeah, that won't work - gunzip it first.
>
> > 2.-) make oldconfig
> > 3.-) make all && make modules_install
>
> make all modules_install install
>
> > 4.-) mkinitrd initrm.2.6.21 2.6.21-gentoo-r4
>
> why not compile everything needed for boot into the kernel? you could skip
> this step?.
>
> > 5.-) Edited menu.lst (just copied genkernel entry and modified to my
> > new bzimage and initram files)
>
> menu.lst with vmlinuz and vmlinuz.old is all what you need, when you use make
> install and don't use an initrd.
>

> > but my new kernel did not start, and gave me a kernel panic...
>
> what type of panic? root fs not found?
>

> > So I wonder what differences could be between my compilation and
> > genkernel one...
>
> I don't know - but I know that genkernel's config sucks.

Why do you say that? I've been using genkernel for a long time and
never had any problems at all. In fact it has proven to be totally
compatible, you just have to use the menuconfig option and tune the
kernel config just as you would do with the normal compiling, except
it is only one command...

I use initrd because I love my gensplash.

--
Daniel da Veiga
Computer Operator - RS - Brazil