ยท Walter Dnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> On Tue, Sep 04, 2007 at 10:45:15AM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote
>
>> You will always have a pretty good idea how much space / needs, it
>> contains /bin, /sbin, /etc, /root and /lib. Unless oyu are in the habit
>> of storing stuff in /root, 500M is plenty. So put / on a regular
>> partition, everything else in LVM and your initramfs worries go away.
>
> s/LVM/a partition using the rest of the hard drive/

No way. For sure not a partition of size ~500 G. That's something
you never ever do.

>> The only thing you need worry about is where are you going to get a
>> decent howto that explains the concepts. You are dealing with three
>> layers of stuff on top of physical partitions and some docs out there
>> are ... confusing. Once you get the picture fully, it's as easy pie and
>> makes perfect sense.
>
>   Remove the LVM layer and things become even easier.

Does it? How do you have different filesystem types for different
directories? How do you minimize the effect of a corrupted filesystem?

>> Really, LVM is the answer to all those prayers you have been sending
>> up to $DEITY for years :-)

Exactly. I don't get why people try so hard to not use LVM.

Alexander Skwar
--
<Reed> It is important to note that the primary reason the Roman Empire
       fail is that they had no concept of zero... thus they could not