This process is the ssh daemon:
root      2988     1  0 Sep04 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/sshd

Two things: before killing the process with the KILL signal, I would
try killing it with TERM
kill -TERM 2988

If that doesn't work then kill the process with the KILL signal.

I would also use:
/etc/init.d/sshd restart

This will give the init script a chance to do some cleanup work before
restarting

-Best of Luck, Stephen