On Tuesday 11 September 2007, econti wrote:
> Hi everybody, this is my first post on the list.
>
> Well, I'm running a 2.6.15-gentoo-r7 2006.0 on a AMD64 machine.
>
> Now I'd like to make a world upgrade. I know that I should run the
> following commands:
>
> emerge --sync
> emerge --update --deep --newuse world
> emerge --depclean
> revdep-rebuild
>
> A little question: how long does it take to complete the upgrade?
> (sure, it depends on the installed software, but please give me an
> approximation)

Ouch. That's 2 years of stuff you need to update. Set aside 48 hours if
you have gnome/kde or openoffice installed.

With that amount of updates, I would recommend you run 'emerge -e world'
instead of 'emerge -uND world' - there aren't that many packages that
have not changed so you might as well do everything in order.

You will also need to go to Gentoo docs and read up on the upgrade guide
for gcc-3.3 to gcc-3.4, plus the xorg-6.8 to xorg-7.0 transistion. Both
those upgrades happened in this timeframe and both bit many people in
the rear end.

alan

--
Optimists say the glass is half full,