Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto <please.no.spam.here <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi. I have instability in my PC and I highly suspect it is caused by hardware
problems in my TV card. I would like to clean its contacts

If you have some corrosion, or scale build up, alcohol may not work. For
tougher issues on cleaning electrical surfaces, go to a hardware store
and get 'steel wool'. It is a disorganized bundle if very fine metal
fibers that can be used to clean  gold, stainless, glass, copper, tin
or just about any other surface you can image.

Make sure you put an air compressor on the card after using steel wool to
remove all of those micro sized particles both from the surface of the newly
cleaned contacts as well as over the entire surface of the PCB (circuit board).

Also if the bus slot is dirty or corroded, find and old card and insert it and
remove it about 5 times to try to clean the contacts inside the buss slot. Also
use compressed air to clean out the buss slot.  For compressed air, you can buy
it in a can, or get a small card tire compressor, or even a 12VDC air pump that
home owners use to fill up inflatable toys around the hose. I attach a needle
for filling a backetball ball so that you get strong air pressure, at the tiny
tip for cleaning  up computers, keyboards and PCBs.

good luck,

James