On Sat, 2007-09-15 at 15:51 +0100, Paul Gibbons wrote:

[snip]

> I have in the passed got to the point that pressing the power button
> shut the system down and added an entry into my grub menu.lst of:

[snip]

> but when I pressed the power button again it performed a full restart.

Here are some things that I do:

1. My method is to keep grub.conf the same regardless of whether I'm
hibernating or not:

title Gentoo (Linux 2.6.22s2-r1)
   root (hd0,2)
   kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.22-suspend2-r1 root=/dev/hda7
video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr,[EMAIL PROTECTED] splash=silent,theme:livecd-2007.0
CONSOLE=/dev/tty1
   initrd /fbsplash-livecd-2007.0-1280x1024

When the kernel has loaded, it then looks for a valid suspend image in
swap (or hd).  If it finds one, it uses it, if it doesn't, then it
continues booting as normal.

2. I should mention that I'm using suspend2-sources.

3. the suspend2 users mailing list is an excellent place to find help
with wierd my-system-won't-suspend issues.

4. my /etc/acpi/default.sh has this in it:

case "$ev_type" in
    button)
        case "$event" in
            power)
                logger "acpid: default.sh hibernate"
                /usr/sbin/hibernate
                break
                ;;

5. and lastly if, when you boot, you can't "resume", it sounds like you
haven't specified where your suspend image is.  Either in the kernel:
CONFIG_SUSPEND2_DEFAULT_RESUME2="swap:/dev/hda10"
or on the boot line:
resume=swap:/dev/hda10

If that still doesn't help, post back with the output of `dmesg | grep
-i suspend` after you've tried to resume.

HTH,

   Bender: Hey, that's my last beer, you bastard. I'll kill you!
   Fry: I'll kill you too, buddy, I'll kill you too.