On Tue, 2007-09-18 at 18:56 -0500, Albert Hopkins wrote:
[...]
> I think i'm going to have to use gdb (yeck) and
> step through the program.

Well, I hate to sound like a ricer, but apparently it's my CFLAGS :|

        CFLAGS="-O2 -march=k8 -msse3 -ggdb -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"

I have an Athlon 64 X2, and according to the Gentoo Wiki my CFLAGS are
safe.  My CPU supports SSE3 (according to /proc/cpuinfo). Oddly enough,
I tried taking out -msse3 but no-go.  I've tried a few permutations of
those flags, but the only way I was able to get it to work is to take
out "-O2"  (even *just* having CFLAGS="-O2" doesn't work). So now the
question is:

GCC bug?[1]
CPU bug?[2]
Wiki bug?[3]

Anyway I just wanted to thank everyone who collectively scratched their
heads with me :-)

1. GCC 4.2.0
2. AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+
3. http://gentoo-wiki.com/Safe_Cflags#Athlon_64_X2_.28AMD.29

--
Albert W. Hopkins