I think I asked about this before, but I still have not found an answer.

When I launch mplayer from aterm I get this type of symbols on my terminal:
$ mplayer
MPlayer SVN-r24130 (C) 2000-2007 MPlayer Team
CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) III Mobile CPU      1066MHz (Family: 6, Model: 11,
Stepping: 1)
MMX2 supported but disabled
ÎεÏάÏÏαÏη με αÏÏÏμαÏη αναγνÏÏιÏη εÏεξεÏγαÏÏή -
ÏÏοÏοÏή, δεν είναι βέλÏιÏÏο! Îια καλÏÏεÏÎµÏ ÎµÏιÎ
´ÏÏειÏ, μεÏαÏÏάÏÏε Ïο mplayer αÏÏ Ïον Ïηγαίο κÏδικα
με --disable-runtime-cpudetection
Usage:   mplayer [εÏιλογέÏ] [url|διαδÏομή/]Ïνομα_αÏÏείοÏ

ÎαÏÎ¹ÎºÎ­Ï ÎµÏιλογέÏ: (ÎναÏÏέξÏε ÏÏη  Ïελίδα εγÏειÏιÎ
´Î¯Î¿Ï για ολοκληÏÏμένη λίÏÏα με εÏιλογέÏ)

As a matter of fact, they are slightly different - i.e. there are rectangular
little squares between the "I"s on the aterm and all "I"s look like this "Ï".
Anyway, the same happens with konsole and plain xterms - although the xterm
show it exactly as attached here.  Any idea what is causing this?

BTW, these are my use flags:
# emerge -pDv mplayer

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ] media-video/mplayer-1.0_rc1_p20070824  USE="X a52 aac aalib
alsa cdparanoia cpudetection dts dvd encode gif iconv jpeg live mad mmx mp3
opengl oss png quicktime real sdl speex sse svga theora truetype unicode
vidix vorbis win32codecs x264 xv xvid xvmc -3dnow -3dnowext
(-altivec) -amrnb -amrwb -arts -bidi -bindist -bl -cddb -cdio -custom-cflags
-dga -directfb -doc -dv -dvb -enca -esd -fbcon -ftp -ggi -gtk -ipv6 -ivtv -jack
-joystick -libcaca -lirc -livecd -lzo -md5sum -mmxext -mp2 -musepack -nas
-openal -pnm -pvr -radio -rar -rtc -samba -srt -sse2 -ssse3 -teletext -tga
-tivo -v4l -v4l2 -xanim -xinerama -zoran"
VIDEO_CARDS="-i810 -mga -nvidia -s3virge -tdfx -vesa" 0 kB

Do I perhaps need +enca?
--
Regards,
Mick