Marzan, Richard non Unisys skrev:
How can I disable portage dropping or overriding my MAKEOPTS variable setting when building certain programs?

Isn't that self defeating, when an ebuild contains enforced -j1 it's because the program can't compile with -j2 or higher. The makefile is written badly and doesn't provide make with the needed information to safely create the execution path. Fx. making a library other parts of the code use is not blocking compilation of all files depending on this internal library.

Or my personal favorite:
create somefile
mv somefile someplace/somefile
mv someplace/somefile someotherplace/somefile

Dunno why someone needs to move a file twice in a row... but some make files does things like this.

But sure go ahead and make custom ebuilds without the make -j1.