Ah yes, quite possibly one of the most useful 'tricks' ever discovered:

emerge -Davu world || until emerge --resume --skipfirst; do :; done

Why there isn't an option like --auto_resume as part of emerge, is beyond
me...

If they went through, I attached the original emails I got this tip from and
thanks to Boyd Stephen and Neil Bothwick. Some interesting dialogs in there
too...
--- Begin Message ---
I think this is a given, but just in case...

It certainly should allow me to do an 'emerge -Davu world' equivallent, and
allow me to then select only the packages (or all or none) to install and of
course their dependencies.

It should show me the 'blocking' packages (if any), and allow me to easily
unmerge them right there.

It should absolutely be smart enough that if a package fails to compile,
SKIP IT! And move on to the next one. There is nothing more frustrating than
having like 100 packages to install, setting it up to run through the night,
excited to see the new stuff, and then the utter dissapointment to see that
portage shit the bed on the second package and just sat there doing nothing
all night long. GRR. :)  why "emerge --resume --skipfirst" is not the
default exception handling routine for 'emerge' is beyond my comprehension.
'emerge' should at least have a command line option to invoke that!

It should also alert me to all the 'notifications' that are in the
PORTAGE_LOGS for things that I might have to manually do after the packages
are installed.

It should do a revdep-rebuild to make sure all packages are proper.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
On Wednesday 17 May 2006 20:47, "Daevid Vincent" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
about 'RE: [gentoo-user] New Portage browser':
> It should absolutely be smart enough that if a package fails to compile,
> SKIP IT! And move on to the next one. There is nothing more frustrating
> than having like 100 packages to install, setting it up to run through
> the night, excited to see the new stuff, and then the utter
> dissapointment to see that portage shit the bed on the second package
> and just sat there doing nothing all night long. GRR. :)  why "emerge
> --resume --skipfirst" is not the default exception handling routine for
> 'emerge' is beyond my comprehension. 'emerge' should at least have a
> command line option to invoke that!

Is there some problem with:
emerge -uND world || until emerge --resume --skipfirst; do :; done
?

A more complex version of that is in my nightly update script.

--
"If there's one thing we've established over the years,
it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
On Wed, 17 May 2006 22:31:14 -0500, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:

> Is there some problem with:
> emerge -uND world || until emerge --resume --skipfirst; do :; done
> ?

I would add 'emerge -uDNp world' to the end of that, so you can see any
packages that were missed.

> A more complex version of that is in my nightly update script.

Maybe you've already covered that case. Please share :)

--
Neil Bothwick

When there's a will, I want to be in it.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
On Thursday 18 May 2006 03:10, Neil Bothwick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
about 'Re: [gentoo-user] New Portage browser':
> On Wed, 17 May 2006 22:31:14 -0500, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> > Is there some problem with:
> > emerge -uND world || until emerge --resume --skipfirst; do :; done
> > ?
>
> I would add 'emerge -uDNp world' to the end of that, so you can see any
> packages that were missed.

I don't throw that in, mainly cause I mostly ignore all output for the
script.  I do usually go and check what I've missed later though.

> > A more complex version of that is in my nightly update script.
>
> Maybe you've already covered that case. Please share :)

It "works", but it's not all I had hoped it would be.  Anyway, it's
attached so perhaps it could be useful to someone else.

<fine print>
As with any work produced in the US, it is under copyright, even if I don't
assert it.  Therefore, I hereby release it into the public domain.
</fine print>