Dan Farrell wrote:
On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 15:26:07 -0700
Grant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Do you back up anything other than /etc and /home on a standard
system?

- Grant

Don't forget to back up stuff that can help you rebuild the system
quickly.  Like /proc/config.gz, or better yet just the kernel and
modules you need so you don't have to rebuild at all or generate the
sources.

Another thing that I think is highly valuable to back up, and very
often ignored, is the output of 'fdisk -l'.  If your drive dies it's
very nice to have a reminder of how it was formatted.
In order to be able to restore a system (relatively) quickly, I use the appropriate fs dump tool (xfsdump in my case) to make level 0 backups of /boot, / , /usr, /var after a major configuration change (e.g emerge --sync;emerge -u world), along with output from df -m. This does not take too long (/usr does take a while), but really speeds up a restore (I have sufficient packages installed to make an emerge world take > 10 hours).

For a modern server with minimal software actually installed, the time aspect for this method may not be too different from an install from scratch, but it also guarantees that the restored system is the same as it was before (modulo last backup obviously), which can save a lot of time!

Cheers

Mark

P.s : Actually rebuilding from these saved dumps requires a little thought - I'll post the steps if anyone new to dumps is interested in using this method for themselves.