On Wed, 2007-10-03 at 22:19 +0200, Bo Ørsted Andresen wrote:

> I was kind of surprised to see that the gentoo kernel upgrade guide does
> indeed warn about `make oldconfig` (which isn't the same as warning about
> reusing old configs). So after digging a bit it turns out dsd has an
> explanation in his devspace.. ;)
>
> http://dev.gentoo.org/~dsd/make_oldconfig.htm

ohhh...  My first reaction was to say "since when has Gentoo been about
dumbing down the options just to suit the ...er unenlightened?"  Then I
thought "How crazy could you be not to _read_ what you're doing when
upgrading your kernel?"  Of all things to upgrade this one would be
vaguely important!  I closely read the output from make oldconfig, and
I've avoided all of these problems.  Oh well, I'll continue to tinker
and break things - that's how I enjoy learning, but I guess it makes
sense to keep the upgrade guide as it is...

> Alan Cox wrote:
[..]

No I didnt.  Someone else wrote that.  Please keep attributions
straight.
        -- From linux-kernel