071007 Florian Philipp wrote:
> Philip Webb schrieb:
>> more generally you could try to install from Knoppix
>> -- that's what I used when I installed my current system 4 years ago --
>> or the simple but powerful System Rescue ( http://www.sysresccd.org/ ),
>> which I plan to use when I install Gentoo on my soon-to-be-built box
>> (it actually mentions installing Gentoo as a good use in its docs).
>> I made a Gentoo Live CD for 'amd64', but am not impressed:
>> unlike the other two, it couldn't use my full monitor resolution
>> & it also boots into a Gnome desktop (ugh & grin).
> Don't forget that you need a AMD64 livecd
> if you want to install an AMD64 system.
> There is no such thing like Knoppix64 but you should be fine
> with every other livecd, for example Ubuntu64 CDs.

You are probably correct that that mb a problem with Knoppix,
but System Rescue 0.4.0 has a 'rescue64' kernel for that purpose
(it came out the day after I wrote a CD using 0.3.8 ... ):
hopefully, the 0.4.0 wb sufficient to get the installation going.
I plan to use a USB stick to copy the necessary Gentoo files
from my existing machine, whose system wb reproduced
for 64 bits & dual-core CPU.  Further advice & comments are welcome.

SUPPORT     ___________//___,  Philip Webb : [EMAIL PROTECTED]