Dan Farrell wrote:
On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 18:07:19 -0600
Ted Ozolins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

In Canada you can
download/upload all the music you want legally,( we've paid for it ten
times over via a levy against all recording media)

huh?  would you do just a little elaborating?

In Canada there is a levy/tax on all blank media (CD's, DVD's, it may be
extended to flash media and ipods in the near future).  This money is
then distributed to artists to compensate them for money lost due to
copying of their music under the Private Copying provision of the
Copyright Act.  There have been a number of court rulings that strongly
indicate uploading/downloading of music in Canada falls under this
provision, although to my knowledge there has not been a direct
challenge of this fact as of yet (I suspect mostly because the CRIA
knows they would lose).

More info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_copying_levy#Canada
http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/2238/125/
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/showdoc/cs/C-42/bo-ga:l_VIII//en#anchorbo-ga:l_VIII
 (NOTE: This last link is to the Private Copying section of the
Copyright Act)

Ophi