On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 14:04:59 -0400
Willie Wong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

oh, Princeton.  how prestigious : )

> Chuanwen: Personally I have never encountered a situation where on a
> laptop the volume control etc. is different between the attached
> speakers and headphones. I've always assumed (someone correct me if I
> am wrong) that the switching between headphones and the attached
> speakers is hardware and not software.
This is true; the headphone jacks usually have an integrated disconnect
switch for the internal laptop speakers, to be tripped when a plug is
inserted.

>If that is the case then you
> might have a hardware issue.

I doubt it, since they work in windows.  More likely, this new-ish
sound card is going to require a bit of tweaking to get working
properly.

> On the other hand, I am not sure how to read your alsamixer output.
> Perhaps post output from 'amixer'?

It too think this would be very helpful.  amixer will list each of the
device controls, so we can see if it's just a simple unmuting of
something you missed (i doubt it).