cut
not exactly sure, but I'd look under menuconfig-> Device Drivers->
Graphics support. In particular: <*> VESA VGA graphics support VESA driver type (vesafb) (use vesafb-tng on 32-bit)
Console display driver support  --->
 [*]   Video mode selection support (you already have this i think)
 <*> Framebuffer Console support (you probably have this already)
No, I had not these!
Now it works.

2 (this is really incredible) fonts disappeared on the Realplayer ->
Graphics support window!!!!! Instead of chars . . . boxes. i.e. file
= 4 boxes,settings = 7 boxes, etc ??????
Realplayer works fine but it is the only one app with this problem.

I had the same problem with firefox-bin not so long ago.  I created a
forum thread about it:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-4185590.html#4185590
Very usefull link.
don't know if it'll help or not.
It helped!! I solved emerging emul-linux-x86-gtklibs

Many thanks.

emilio