> Disk ARchiver command line questions
> From: Thufir <hawat.thufir <at> gmail.com>
> Subject: Disk ARchiver command line questions
> Newsgroups: gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.general
> Date: 2007-10-17 09:09:22 GMT
>
> I've been reading the man pages, but command line stuff isn't my forte :(
>
> I want to backup some data using DAR (Disk ARchive) and here's what I
> have so far:

<Zipped commands and DAR result>

> Starting with the least important questions and increasing in
> significance:
>
> 1.)  How can I change the command so the .dar files are named backup.
> [n].dar instead of thufir.[n].dar?

Add "-c backup"

> 2.)  As it stands, it's going to take 862 slices to backup this data
> without compression?  I asked for slices of 690M, why is it only showing
> as 106M for this particular slice?

Not sure, am guessing it's not going through the directory tree.

> 3.)  Do I just burn thufir.1.dar to disc (CD-R) as a regular data disc
> using, for example, the builti-in nautilus burner?

I would suggest writing the *.dar files to disc (CD-R) in the same way as
how you'd write normal datafiles.
Eg. do NOT treat the *.dar files as ISO-images. Strange things can happen
this way.

> 4.)  How do I get DAR to generate the second slice?

Not entirely sure, but the following command works for me:

dar -m 256 -y -s 690M -D -R /mnt/VolGroup00/LogVol00/home/thufir/ -c
thufir  -Z "*.zip" -Z "*.gz" -Z "*.bz2" -Z "*.mp3" -Z "*.jpg"

You would probably want to add "--beep --pause" to it. The "-Z" options
are there to tell dar not to bother trying to compress already compressed
files. (makes it faster)

> I know that these questions are answered in the manual, and I've read the
> manual, but they still elude me.

The manual has alot of examples, I got it working for me by taking the
examples and then editing it to suit my needs, rather then trying to build
the command myself.

Also, the "--tree-format" option isn't in the man-page of dar on my system.

Kind regards,

Joost Roeleveld