Philip Webb wrote:
> I don't play games, but I've long had my desktop box using HZ_1000
> & it has always been very responsive (now Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.6.23-r3).
> That's certainly the first thing to try.

I use 100 Hz on an old P3 desktop/server.  It's not a high traffic
server, but it does my web/email/taking over the world.  The desktop
environment can be pretty sluggish at times, but I keep it at 100 just
for efficiency.  Would I be best off to up the interrupt rate, or would
that hurt my serverness on my aging system?  The desktop sluggishness is
livable, but I wouldn't want any tcp connections to time out from not
being serviced (how long is a typical timeout anyhow?)

--
Randy Barlow
http://electronsweatshop.com