> >> I would agree Daniel,
> >>
> >> There is always stuff rollin' in from all the gentoo lists... It's
> >> almost ridiculous how many discussions and threads are going on in
> >> there. In that respect, I completely agree that the Gentoo project is
> >> far from idle. For another snapshot of just how active gentoo is, check
> >> out the IRC channels (#gentoo) and as Daniel said, bugs.gentoo.org.
> >>
> >> "Don't get me wrong, but what exactly is the point of starting this
> >> threads? If you're worried about Gentoo slowing down or even dying,
> >> don't be, Gentoo is alive and kicking." - Daniel
> >>
> >> It's true :)
> >>
> >> Feel free to post any ideas you have to enhance Gentoo's base
> >> functionality to the list though, I think you've roused everyone's
> >> curiosity Grant :D
> >>

> > My ideas aren't really important unless they're everyone else's ideas
> > too.  I'm sure a lot of us would like to see the same kind of stuff
> > happen.  The weird thing is, none of it is happening.  This must be
> > due to a lack of devs or dev interest right?  I can't understand that.
> >  Gentoo should be just getting started at this point, and yet people
> > seem to think it's finished.  Sooner or later other distros will
> > accomplish things that make Gentoo seem inferior.  Ease of use is a
> > good example, but it's just an example.  Advancements will continue
> > and Gentoo will be left in the dust if it doesn't advance also.
> >
> > - Grant
> >
> Good point as far as Gentoo just beginning. However, the portage system
> is very powerful, mature, and fully featured as is the stage3 used as

I was under the same impression, but I'm hearing something different
from some of the people on this list.  It sounds like portage is not
the facilitator I thought it was and is instead blocking progress.

> the foundation for the base install. After that, it's up to the software
> developers for each individual package which decides how "new" the
> package is as well as the administrator of the system (You) whether or
> not to use "ACCEPT_KEYWORDS" in order to pull the latest version (if
> masked). Granted, it is also up to the Gentoo maintainers to make sure
> the packages are ported correctly and as soon as possible. Is this
> (portage maintainers) what you are referring too? Or are you referring

The maintenance of some packages seems to be lagging, but there are
others that are maintained very well..

> to Gentoo in a more broad sense as stagnating? If so, could you provide
> some examples in which you see stagnation or less activity than you
> believe we should be seeing.

As I was saying before, I think additional removable layers should be
built on top of Gentoo's foundation.  Right now the foundation is
great and we need to put that to good use.  Is the current state of
portage preventing this from happening?  Is paludis the cure?

- Grant