On Tue, Dec 18, 2007 at 05:53:18AM +0100, Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote

> Another thing you can try: add something you want to be done (like switching
> to a vt or a certain sysrq-key) to your acpid config and let acpid run. If
> the keyboard hangs, just push the power button ...
>
> for example:
> event=.*
> action=chvt 1
>
> in /etc/acpi/events/default switches to vt1 if you push the power button.
> Pretty usefull, if X is in deep shit mode again.

<ELVIS>
Thank you, thank you, thank you verrry verrry much!
</ELVIS>

  This is a wonderful idea, and I have it implemented now.  For the
benefit of anyone else who's interested, here are the steps I took

as root
cd /usr/src/linux
make menuconfig
  Power management options (ACPI, APM)  --->
    [*] Power Management support
        ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) Support
          [*] ACPI Support
          <*>   Button

Compile and re-boot into new kernel

emerge acpi

change the uncommented lines in /etc/acpi/events/default to read
event=.*
action=chvt 1

execute the commands...
/etc/init.d/acpid start      (to start acpid now)
rc-update add default acpid  (to automatically start acpid at future bootups)

  Notes:
  - When testing, I suggets executing "sync" as a precaution, just
    before pressing the "big" power button.

  - PCs also have a smaller power button which is hard-wired to shutdown
    or re-boot.  Do not press that button.

  - After editing /etc/acpi/events/default run the command
/etc/init.d/acpid restart
    to force acpid to read in the new config

--
Walter Dnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
I'm not repeating myself