Just a quick question to see if any of the list members are using Gentoo - or any other Linux distro for that matter - on Dell PowerEdge 2600 or 2800 servers?

A site I manage has had from new a 2800 running Windows, which we're quite happy with (the 2800, that is, not Windows ;). We really need new hardware for our Linux-based mailserver & similar systems seem to be quite affordable on the secondhand market, and it would make quite a bit of sense for us to use one of these.

I haven't done much digging yet, but thought a quick show of hands here might save some time. It looks like the SCSI hot-swap / RAID controller uses an AMI / LSI MegaRAID driver which is (?) part of the main kernel - anyone know if that does status updates (dead-hard drives &c) to the syslog? Does it depend on any userland utilities that are only available as RPM or whatever?

I know RedHat &/or Suse are supported on this machine, but I've been using Gentoo so long now I find it hard to use them thar binary distros. It'd also be nice if power-supply failures were logged in the same way - anyone know? I've had some experience in the past with a Compaq Proliant 6500 and certain utilities for that would only report problems via SNMP, which was a bit of a pain.

Cheers,

Stroller.