On Thursday 20 December 2007 15:39:59 Alexander Skwar wrote:
> Dirk Heinrichs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Here is what I would recommend for a normal linux system:
> >
> > [hs]da1: /boot, 64M, ext2
> > [hs]da2: /, 256M, ext3 or xfs
> > [hs]da3: LVM
>
> I used to use something like this for a long time as well,
> but I think it was Neil from this list, who made me think
> about that - what's the use of /boot here? Why a seperate
> /boot partition?

OK, in reality I have / on LVM also (needs an initramfs, of course), so I need
to have them separated. The other reason is fs choice. If you don't need this,
you can also merge / and /boot.

> I don't have swap on LVM, as I'd like to do suspend-to-disk,
> which is easier to do with an old-style partition. And I
> also don't resize my swap partition. But if I'd need *additional*
> swap, I'd create that as a LV on LVM - it's just the "primary"
> SWAP, which I like to keep off-LVM.

Good point. I also don't do suspend-to-disk, so I make it a LV or even leave it
out completely on systems with >=1G RAM, but there may be cases where swap is
needed even with this large amount of memory.

Bye...

        Dirk