On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 07:46:34 -0800 "Mark Knecht" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> On Jan 7, 2008 3:34 AM, Renat Golubchyk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 16:31:43 -0800 "Mark Knecht"
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >    OK, I took a few minutes away from his Half Life game to look
> > > at BIOS. I found the AHCI option and enabled it. Of course he
> > > wanted to get back to gaming so we tried to boot back into
> > > Windows but XP goes blue screen at the first disk access with
> > > AHCI enabled.
> >
> > Windows versions prior to Windows Server 2003 do not support AHCI:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/serialATA_FAQ.mspx
> >
> > You have to install SATA drivers of the mainboard manufacturer in
> > order to enable it. For the ASUS P5E board you can download the
> > Intel Matrix Storage driver from ASUS support site. After
> > installing the driver you can enable AHCI in BIOS.
> >

> > Cheers,
> > Renat
> >

> Renat,
>    Thanks very much for posting this information.
>
>    Once installed does Win XP switch over to the new AHCI driver
> automatically and if I go back to IDE emulation in the BIOS does XP
> switch back automatically?

It should, but I can't actually verify it, because I do not own SATA
drives. I've just googled it for you. :-)
(The page [1], that I found, had a very detailed explanation of this
AHCI issue, but is written in Russian. I've just summarised the
important bits in the email. At the Intel website [2] you can find
lots of relevant information and software in English.)

Cheers,
Renat

[1] http://www.diwaxx.ru/gel/ahci.php
[2] http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imst/index.htm

--
Probleme kann man niemals mit derselben Denkweise loesen,
durch die sie entstanden sind.