On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 22:49:53 -0500 "Walter Dnes"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>   Tried to do an update today.  Gnumeric has a new dependancy, namely
> goffice.  Trying to build goffice fails with the following message...

[snip]
>   SVG is an OpenSource replacement for Schlockwave-Trash, to be used
> for creating singing/dancing webpages.

SVG is Scalable Vector Graphics, a (XML based) vector image format that
*can* be used for animations. It is now used, e.g., for scalable icons
in GNOME and KDE.

> Unicode is great if you're building a desktop for use in the
> library room of the United Nations.  There is no real need for it on
> a single-language desktop machine.

Everything gets converted to unicode these days. Get used to it. Nobody
will write an application using only ASCII for English-speaking
population and Unicode for everybody else. It's just ain't going to
happen. It would be a major pain in the ass to code such a beast.

>  Can someone explain the so-called "logic" behind these mandatory
> dependancies *IN A SPREADSHEET*?

Gnumeric uses GTK+ 2.x which internally uses unicode to handles strings.
Thus, it needs libpcre to be built with unicode support. If you don't
like it, don't use GTK+ 2.x apps.

> Is there a way to to modify the ebuild to remove the dependancies
> without blowing up the compile?

No.

> One reason that linux has finally started to come into its own is
> that it can fit onto under-specced machines like the OLPC and Asus
> EEE, on which XP has trouble fitting, and Vista is "totally
> fuggedaboutit". That advantage risks being ruined if we follow the
> "Windows Disease" and insist on unnecessarily bloating basic apps.

There is nothing basic about a spreadsheet program. It is a very
advanced piece of software. From a developer's perspective unicode is an
obvious requirement, if he tries to write a program for many different
locales without too much hassle.

Cheers,
Renat

--
Probleme kann man niemals mit derselben Denkweise loesen,
durch die sie entstanden sind.