I'm rebuilding a broken gentoo, taken down by hard drive failure.
Most things are working well, but printing just won't go.

Attpempts to print are accepted, but not printed.  lpstat -t shows the
attached printer is disabled.  Re-enabling only works until the next job
is submitted.  It has reported a variety of reasons, such as "Page not
Found" (whatever that means).
Or some thing about back end failure.  Or no reason stated at all.

I've got my old config files, so I was prepared for things to Just Work.
They don't.
I do not have my old world file, so I may be missing a piece.

I've installed cups and hplip.  I cannot follow the Gentoo printing guide,
because that worthy
document requires me to add hplip to the default runlevel, but hplip does
not put anything in
/etc/init.d.  My printer is an old HP Laserjet 4M, which I usually run as a
Postscrpt printer.

What have I missed?

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD