On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 16:32:19 -0800 (PST)
maxim wexler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi group,
>
> Now emerge -uD world barfs at pam-0.99 and directs me
>
> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/pam/upgrade-0.99.xml
>
> Here, among other things, it says to edit certain
> files, but it doesn't say which ones? Unless it means
> all of the ones under /etc/pam.d/ I checked several of
> them and none mentions pam_stack.so
>
> It mentions two new packages pam_userdb and
> pam_chroot.
> Doesn't say to emerge them but I tried nonetheless.
> Attempts to emerge them fail with the same notice for
> both of them:
>

>  * Your current setup is using the pam_stack module.
>  * This module is deprecated and no longer supported,
> and since version
>  * 0.99 is no longer installed, nor provided by any
> other package.
>  * The package will be built (to allow binary package
> builds), but will
>  * not be installed.
>  * Please replace pam_stack usage with proper include
> directive usage,
>  * following the PAM Upgrade guide at the following
> URL
>  *
> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/pam/upgrade-0.99.xml
>  *
>
> I took a chance and unmerged the deprecated pam and
> now I can't su and probably other stuff I don't know
> about yet.

Leave all your root consoles open.  You won't be able to log in
until you fix PAM.  From your source:

"All the changes described have to be applied to each file in
the /etc/pam.d/ directory (the PAM configuration files). Please make
sure you remove eventual backup files (*~) before trying to update
sys-libs/pam, or the emerge process will fail as a safety measure.

As a safety device, the sys-libs/pam ebuild checks the files present
in /etc/pam.d/ for the now-deprecated modules, and stops the merge
process in case they are still used, to avoid locking you out of your
own system. "

All files in /etc/pam.d must be updated; if you unmerged PAM might
well have been the only version available:

>  * The package will be built (to allow binary package
> builds), but will not be installed.

Update the config files (as necessary - and remove backup copies) and
then remerge the package.