Grant Edwards <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On 2008-02-11, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>>
>>> I've recently switched from DSL to Cable connection but still have
>>> both working currently.
>>
>> I've snipped all responses but carefully read through them.  I think I
>> didn't provide enough info at the outset.
>>
>> I see now that this cable modem has no ethernet address as several
>> posters have suggested.

It turned out to be a simple matter of cycling the various
modem/router PC s in the right order.  Once I got the help desk it
took about 2 minutes to get things resolved.  It was setup right just
needed to recycle the Modem with router off.

The cable modem acquires an IP address by dhcp from comcast but also
internalizes the MAC of the NIC in the PC, so if you change the MAC
(By inserting a router in between, with a different MAC in this case)
then the modem continues to try to connect to the MAC it has
internalized.   It must be rebooted to acquire the new MAC (of the
router in this case).

Once that happens the Netgear routers (either one) connect with no
problems.

> It almost certainly has an Ethernet address.  It might not,
> however, have an IP address.

As you may have guessed I meant IP address.  That is, although the
Modem connects to the PC by ethernet wire, it has no inward facing
address.  This was explained by at least two other posters. (Something
I'd failed to realize. I expected there to be an inward facing IP)

At any rate all is now well, and thanks to all for the tips and help.