> > > It's possible.  Or, perhaps you're behind a firewall without that
> > > port open?
> >
> > My local network firewall here?  All outgoing connections on this
> > firewall are accepted.
> >
> > > Many ISPs do block 25.  send me an IP if you want me to map from
> > > here. Otherwise, I'm sure if it looks closed, and you have it open
> > > on your end, it's got to be an ISP blockage.
> >
> > When I nmap my remote server I get these filtered results:
> >
> > 25/tcp   filtered smtp
> > 130/tcp  filtered cisco-fna
> > 131/tcp  filtered cisco-tna
> > 132/tcp  filtered cisco-sys
> > 133/tcp  filtered statsrv
> > 134/tcp  filtered ingres-net
> > 135/tcp  filtered msrpc
> > 136/tcp  filtered profile
> > 137/tcp  filtered netbios-ns
> > 138/tcp  filtered netbios-dgm
> > 139/tcp  filtered netbios-ssn
> > 445/tcp  filtered microsoft-ds
> > 3128/tcp filtered squid-http
> > 4444/tcp filtered krb524
> > 6881/tcp filtered bittorent-tracker
> > 6969/tcp filtered acmsoda
> >
> > So that all must be filtered by my ISP (Cox)?
>
> Ouch, that's a cruel list.  Turning of torrents just goes to show the
> massive misunderstanding of their nature and use.
>
> > > I recommend you use 587 (right?) the smtp submission port, with sasl
> > > authentication, and ssl if possible.
> >
> > What about your openvpn suggestion?  That would get around this
> > problem right?  Plus it's a generally good practice?
>
> Either is good; however you are going to need a different MX host for
> your mail I'm afraid.  Since hosts can't connect to 25 they can't send
> mail directly to you.  COX probably has provided an outgoing relay
> host, but didn't expect their customers to be receiving their own mail.

I'm thinking I may not have explained this properly.  My local ISP is
Cox and I get the above list of filtered ports when port scanning my
remote machine which is hosted halfway across the country.  Cox can't
prevent me from scanning the SMTP port on my remote machine right?  My
host must be filtering the ports?

- Grant