On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 10:09:37 +0100, pat wrote:

> One of my coligues used this "rm -rf /" command on his ext3 partition
> as root ... of course :-( He removes about 50% of data. And my question
> is: is there a utility to undelete the files and directories or at
> least some files? I know that this shouldn't be possible but data are
> worth to ask :-)

He could try photorec from the testdisk package, but mount the filesystem
ro immediately to reduce any further damage. The output from photorec
isn't pretty and will take a lot of work to sort out what is worth
keeping, but that is all part of the learning process :P

--
Neil Bothwick

"Bother," said Pooh, as Satan laid his soul to waste.