On 02/17/08 00:21, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
The same way when I file a bug about new php-5.2.5_p20080206 when it
came out.  The bug was dismissed "closed" the same day I file it,
week later the php was downgraded to current one php-5.2.5-r1

In some sense the downgrade was the response to your bug.
Of course the bug report should not have been dismissed

I've been with Gentoo for over 4-years and I am getting tired of
babysitting the system on the weekends.
Maybe I'll try Debian stable.  I need something that works.

I hope you don't.  By filing bugs when bugs do exist, you are helping
us all; even if you are not treated as you should be.

Also your previous msg stating that you hit the same problem that I
did was comforting to me.  Thanks for sending it.

sincerely,
allan

I recompile / downgraded "libpcre" - didn't help; next I downgraded "guile-1.8.2" to "guile-1.6.8" (followed by revdep-rebild) so two packages were rebuild:
dev-libs/g-wrap
app-office/gnucash

Now, gnucash is starting normally no more "segmentation errors"
But I'm not sure if this is the solution since on my Gentoo backup gnucash is
working OK with guile-1.8.2
Maybe I'll follow the advise of "jstead1" from his post:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-601976-highlight-gnucash.html

Another problem right now I have is that "udept" package command: dep -k "package_name" is not reporting installed packages correctly anymore.
In addition when I re-emerged "php" I did not receive any email notification
about this package.
Next, I upgraded to kernel "linux-2.6.23-gentoo-r8" and my when I start or shutdown I get a blank screen. Going back to my rant, three years ago if somebody ask me about Linux I would recommend Gentoo to anybody it was relatively stable and easy to use; if somebody ask me about Gentoo a year ago I wouldn't say anything; if somebody ask me about Linux now I would recommend Ubuntu or Debian. The reason is that I upgrade every week and almost every second or third week something is broken, I have to hunt for fixes and solution and keep recompiling when my wife enjoy watching the TV; so right now Gentoo Linux is steeling time from my family - Linux stability with Gentoo gone!
--
#Joseph