[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
On Sun, Feb 17, 2008 at 12:52:05AM +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote:
On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 10:50:37 -0600, Dale wrote:

With recursion:
chown -R user:group *
That won't cover hidden files, try

chown -R user: ~user
What does the "~" make it do different?  Got me curious about that.
Nothing in itself, it just refers to the user's home directory. The
important point is that giving a directory matces all files in that
directory, whereas * omits those beginning with a . in most people's
shells.

* also omits the home directory itself.  It probably wouldn't matter
in this case, but if you copied a user's home directory from one
machine to another where the uid changed, it would apply.

So it is like typing in the command cd ~ and it takes you to the home directory. Gotcha. Kewl. :-D
Wonder why that didn't hit me when I read it?

Dale