On Sun, 2008-02-24 at 11:34 -0800, Grant wrote:
> >  > I have a USB sound card and an internal sound card in my laptop.  Is
> >  >  there a way to switch between them while the system is booted?  Is
> >  >  module loading/unloading via modprobe the best way to do it?
> >  >
> >  >  - Grant
> >  >  --
> >  >  gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
> >  >
> >  >

> >  Why switch between them when you can use them both at the same time as
> >  hw:0 and hw:1?
>
> Thanks Mark.  After studying your config, here is mine:
>
> alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
> options snd-hda-intel index=1
> options snd-hda-intel model=acer
>
> alias snd-card-1 snd-usb-audio
> options snd-usb-audio index=0
>
> alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
> alias sound-slot-1 snd-card-1
>
> alias /dev/mixer snd-mixer-oss
> alias /dev/dsp snd-pcm-oss
> alias /dev/midi snd-seq-oss
>
> options snd cards_limit=2
>
> I get sound from the USB card but not from the internal card
> (snd-hda-intel).  How can I tell the system to turn off the USB card
> and turn on the internal card?
>
> - Grant

You might want to take a look at the new pulseaudio daemon. I don't use
it but as far as I know it's perfect for complex setups like yours.
Think of it as a (transparent, if necessary) layer between your software
and alsa. It should be easier to reconfigure than alsa.

You could use it (or the older the older jack daemon) to send audio to
both devices.