On Mon, 2008-02-25 at 15:38 +0400, Yahya Mohammad wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I have a three year old Inspiron 6000 laptop with ATI Mobility Radeon
> X300 graphics. I can't get the laptop to resume from suspend or
> hibernate.  I have gentoo-sources 2.6.23-r3, hibernate-script and
> ati-drivers-8.40.4 installed.

I have an 3ish yr old Inspiron 9100, with an ATI Mobility 9600/9700
(RV350?).  Apparently mine is a "special" case...

> Both hibernate and suspend used to work a long time ago, but stopped
> after a few `emerge -uDN world`s. The older package versions when it
> used to work aren't in the portage tree anymore :(

I've had mixed success over the last 3 years.  Various versions and
combinations of ati-drivers and kernels did / didn't work.  Simple
solution could be because some names have changed recently. (suspend2 >
tuxonice, eg).

The other think I can suggest is to try various versions of each.  At
least try ati-drivers 8.452 flavour, and some ati-drivers 8.35.x to
8.40.4 versions as well.

There's also suspend2-sources.  er, that's tuxonice-sources now.  Try
unstable sources and hibernate-script as well.  Are you using suspend or
suspend2?

You might also want to check out radeontool.

> Does the suspend/hibernate process produce logs anywhere? I don't see
> anything in /var/log/*

post the output when you get logging going from the other suggestion.

> Will using open source drivers for my graphics chipset help in making
> suspend/hibernate work? And how do they handle 3D for this chipset? I
> don't play games, but it would be nice to use Compiz once it's stable in
> portage.

I think the X300 has decent success, unlike mine :(  There was some help
on the wiki... OK there are a few links you probably want to read:
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_ATI_Drivers
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Software_Suspend_v2 (your card is "known to
work")
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_XGL/Troubleshooting
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Video_Card_Support_Under_XGL

> Thanks for any pointers.

np,

He who despises himself nevertheless esteems himself as a self-despiser.
                -- Friedrich Nietzsche