Alan McKinnon wrote:
On Wednesday 27 February 2008, Dale wrote:
Hi,

I run --depclean -p every once in a while just to clean out any
cruft.

This has me confused:
These are the packages that would be unmerged:
 sys-kernel/gentoo-sources
    selected: 2.6.23-r6
   protected: none
     omitted: 2.6.23-r3 2.6.23-r8

 sys-libs/pwdb
    selected: 0.62
   protected: none
     omitted: none

 dev-java/jakarta-regexp
    selected: 1.3-r4
   protected: none
     omitted: none

I get the gentoo-sources, no big deal.  The java thing wouldn't
exactly break my system either but the pwdb which pam depends on,
well, wouldn't that be bad to remove?

What's the deal?  Remove it?  Remove it and death will be painful and
slow?   o_O

It's safe to delete. The pam_pwdb module is not used any more. There's a nice bug message in the ebuild that describes it.

Did you follow the PAM Upgrade guide (URL in the ebuild) way back when? If so, just unmerge pwdb

I'm not 100% sure if I did or not on the upgrade guide. I do update a couple times a week tho. If it has been a while, I may not remember it if I did. I do read the messages so if it was in there, I most likely did.

Would have been cute to remove it tho and not be able to log back in. I learned the hard way to do a pretend first. Sort of make sure it is going to still work after words.
Thanks for the info.

Dale

:-) :-)
Oh, still no DSL here.  They been working on the box tho.  Maybe soon.