On Sunday 02 March 2008, Dan Farrell wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 14:02:40 +0100
>
> Volker Armin Hemmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >  Essentially, the
> >
> > > antiailiasing seems to alter the consistency of fonts in an
> > > irregular manner causing them to blur (differently) across the
> > > screen, as if the monitor resolution is out of sync.
>
> hmm, that reminds me of the appearance of the screen when you're
> running at a resolution that isn't native for the device.  For example,
> if you run a 1280x1024 at widescreen, each 6th pixel or something is
> stretched to consist of 2 physical pixels to widen the screen out to
> fill the entire display.  I hope that explination makes sense -
> clearly there are other, better ways to use widescreen in a case like
> this.
>
> i would make sure you're running in the screen's native resolution if
> it's an LCD, else make sure you're running at a resolution that fits
> the aspect ratio of your screen.

Yep, that's pretty much what I think it is.  Stretches and blurs along the
width of the screen, every few pixels.  I thought I *was* using the native
resolution.  Of course DDC may not be picking up the right dimensions in the
first place.  This is not a wide screen, just a 1280x1024 vanilla resolution.
The monitor is a NEC MultiSync LCD 1860NX.

Screen 0: minimum 640 x 480, current 1280 x 1024, maximum 1280 x 1024
default connected 1280x1024+0+0 0mm x 0mm
   1280x1024      60.0*
   1024x768       60.0
   800x600        60.0
   640x480        60.0
   832x624        60.0

This is what the Internet tells me (because the manual is rubbish):

Display Type:                  IPS TFT 46 cm (18.1 inch)
Active Display Area:           360 x 290 mm
Pixel Pitch:                   0.281 mm
Viewing Angle:                 160° horizontal/160° vertical (at contrast
ratio 10:1)
Brightness:                    200 cd/m2
Contrast Ratio:                350:1
Response Time:                 30 ms (white to black 15 ms, black to white 15
ms)
Number of Colours:             16.77 million
Optimum Resolution:            1280 x 1024 at 60 Hz (1.3 mega pixel)
Other Resolutions:             1024 x 768; 832 x 624; 800 x 600; 640 x 400;
640 x 480; 720 x 400
Features/Adjust Functions:     NTAA (Non-Touch-Auto-Adjustment); Auto adjust;
Contrast; Brightness;
                               Fine adjust (analog); OmniColor™: sRGB and 6
axis colour control;
                               Colour temperature control; Monitor info;
Language Select;
                               Intelligent Power Management (VESA/EPA/NUTEK
compliant);
                               On-Screen Manager (OSM) lock out
User Controls:                 On/Off; OSM menu; Interfaces
Plug & Play; Asset Management: VESA DDC2B; DDC2Bi; DDC/CI and EDID standard
Horizontal Frequency:          31–82 kHz
Vertical Frequency:            55–85 Hz
Dot Clock Rate:                135 MHz

--
Regards,