Rasmus Andersen wrote:

FreeBSD's softupdates should make filesystem state always consistent,
metadatawise. Or so I think I remember, its been a while. That might
aleviate some of the problems noted on the dump page I referenced.

Freebsd's dump -L (live option) uses ufs2 snapshot capability to ensure consistency, so its dump is reasonably smart. (FWIW / on Freebsd usually does not have softupdates specified, so usually won't help here). So yeah, it looks like some care is needed with plain old 'dump' on Linux - which is a bit of a pest!
I use rdiff-backup for my backups but then again I have low requirements
wrt. consistency outside file-level. I have considered LVM snapshots
since I use LVM already but havent bothered so far.

Right - what you intend the backup to protect against drives all this sort of stuff.