did you run hald and dbus ?
did you add them on your rc profile ???

I think gnome use it to know if any drive is insert or not.

Try to run it hald (I think they depends of dbus so ... but both need to be
run)

Did you use dbus and hald in your uses ?

try this:

USE="dbus hald" emerge -DNuav world

Somethink to recompile ?

if yes add it permanantly to make.conf and do it

and restart gnome and try again