Michael Sullivan wrote:
We got a new printer today.  It's the same model as our old printer, so it
should work, right?  I followed the Gentoo Printing Guide up to the point
where one sets up the printer in the CUPS administrative interface.  It
does not offer me a parallel port choice for the device.  My kernel is
built with parallel port support and I have modprobed parport and
parport_pc:

catherine ~ # lsmod | grep parport
parport_pc             32868  0
parport                26696  1 parport_pc

And dmseg is aware of the printer:

catherine ~ # dmesg | grep -i print
parport0: Printer, EPSON Stylus C88

But on the CUPS interface, I can choose from

AppSocket/HPJetDirect
Backend Error Handler
HP Printer (HPLIP)
Internet Printing Protocol (http)
Internet Printing Protocol (ipp)
LPD/LPR Host or Printer
SCSI Printer
Serial Port #1

but no parallel port.  It used to be on there.  How can I get it back, or
is parallel port called something else now?

You may need to set the parport USE flag in make.comf or package.use. Mine has it for my HP.

[ebuild R ] net-print/hplip-2.7.10 USE="X parport ppds -doc -fax -minimal -scanner -snmp" 0 kB

Hope that helps.

Dale