On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 08:29:57AM +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 20:31:29 -0600, John J. Foster wrote:
>
> > This was installed in an empty VM and it would be real slow to recompile
> > all of Gentoo. There has to be a way to fix it.
>
> You could unpack a stage 3 tarball to a temporary location then copy the
> portage files over. If you have portage-utils or equery installed and
> working, you could use qlist or equery to generate a list of files to
> copy.
>
> Alternatively, as you are using VMs, begin a basic stage 3 install in a
> new VM, as far as being able to quickpkg portage, then unpack the tarball
> in the root of the broken VM.

Thanks so much Neil, option #1 worked just fine, followed by a
emerge -auvDN world
emerge --depclean
revdep-rebuild

I think what I did wrong in following the instuctions for repairing portage
as described at

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/portage/doc/manually-fixing-portage.xml

was that I blindly just copied and pasted, thereby bringing in a way old
version. I'm not sure, though (probably more because of too much Patron).
But it didn't work.

Thanks so much for your help!

festus