Hi folks,

from an "typical" SME view (mostly workstation and fileservers)
I don't really see an performance difference worth thinking of
(as already stated, there're lot's of other bottlenecks, like
storage IO).

AMD tends to win this battle by price, but Intel tends to be a
bit more rubust: I'm still running a bunch of P3 boxes and never
get an CPU killed, but Athlon's ("plain", not notebook variants)
can be easily burned by improper cooling. But with an good cooling
(eg. NOT using cheap gel beared fans), I don't see major problems.

So for most cases I personally prefer AMD simply by costs.

BTW: I'd really interested in experience reports about completely
different architectures (eg. RISC based).

cu