* Patrick Holthaus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > What does config.out say about this ?
>
> There is no config.out in /var/tmp/portage. You can find build.log and
> config.log here:

yeah, I meant config.log ;-o ... and it clearly tells what's wrong.
cairo's obviously built w/ GL, and your GL library is broken.
In no way surprising, since it's NVidia's proprietary crap.

You could try switching to another GL (via eselect) or rebuilding
cairo w/o GL.

BTW: if you experience system lockups or X11 crashes, also the
NVidia driver may be the source of evil.

Sad but true: there is *NO* reliable 3D driver for recent NVidia
cards. NV's proprietary driver is crap, and they're totally unwilling
to support OSS community in any way. So if you really want GL,
either try software rendering (via mesa) or get a supported card.
(I've got the same problem - didn't properly check before bying :( )

cu