Fei Liu wrote:

Here is the complete grub.conf file:
more /boot/grub/grub.conf
default 0
timeout 8
gfxmenu (hd0,0)/boot/message

title 2.6.24.4-default
   root (hd0,0)
   kernel /boot/kernel root=/dev/sda1 splash=silent showopts

/etc/fstab:
#/dev/BOOT /boot ext2 noauto,noatime 1 2 /dev/sda1 / ext3 noatime 0 1 /dev/sda2 none swap sw 0 0 #/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom audo noauto,ro 0 0 #/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto 0 0

shm /dev/shm tmpfs nodev,nosuid,noexec 0 0

I am looking into the SCSI file system issue.

Fei

Error messages:
md: ... autorun DONE
VFS: Cannot open root device "sda1" or unknown-block(0,0)
Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available partitions: Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

There is one more thing, this is a vmware machine so the harddrive is a scsi harddrive.

Fei

I finally found this page and got this stuff to work, the catch is 'vmware' specific feature.

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Install_Gentoo_on_VMware_in_Windows_NT/2K/XP#Kernel_Options