>  > I'm trying to strengthen a wireless connection that spans about 150
>  > feet and has to go through about 5 walls.  I bought two of these:
>  >
>  > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833164110
>  >
>  > for either end of the connection, but I'm having trouble making it
>  > work well.  I've noticed the connection will be perfect for a short
>  > time, but then disappear.  When watching iwconfig during this process,
>  > it looks like the connection is good when on a low rate, but when it
>  > goes to 54 Mbps it falls apart.
>  >
>  > Should limiting the rate solve this problem?  If so, how can I do
>  > that?  I'm using hostapd on the AP and wpa_supplicant on the client.
>  >
>  > - Grant
>
>  Grant,
>
>  Yes, lowering the rate to a "slower" speed will help greatly.  The lower
> rates
>  use less compression and modulation... less complex wave forms better
>  connects over long hauls.
>
>  The antennas look very good, but what's driving them? I use and whole
>  heartedly endorse SENAO products and have had very good luck with these
>  models:   ECB-3220 (400 mw) or 2611CB3 PLUS (200 mw) at:
>  http://www.wlansolution.com. Either unit with the high gain antennas you
>  have,  will penetrate what you stated and probably go pretty high on the
>  speed scale doing it too.

With careful antenna placement and use of 'iwconfig wlan0 rate 2M' I
have a nice reliable connection.  Thanks for the advice on lowering
the rate.

Does anyone think I would be better off with a 15 foot antenna
extension cable and a PCI adapter than what I have now which is a USB
adapter on the end of a 15 foot USB cable?  I know antenna cables are
lossy.

- Grant