On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 12:36:40PM -0400, Willie Wong wrote:
> The first thing to determine is that whether it is freezing of the
> user interface or the underlying kernel. For desktops I often compile
> the kernel with the option that it flashes the keyboard LEDs when it
> is panicking, so I can see at a glance that the omelette has hit the
> fan.

On second thought, I am not sure if the keyboard flashing is
optional... every desktop that I've come across that kernel panic'd
did flash the LEDs, that and the fact the last time I built my desktop
kernel is over a year ago  makes me a non-authority on kernel options.

Willie W. Wong                                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
408 Fine Hall,  Department of Mathematics,  Princeton University,  Princeton
A mathematician's reputation rests on the number of bad proofs he has given.