James wrote:
hello,

I have a couple of old 32bit amd athlon XP systems:

They have very old, no longer supported nvidia cards:

NV11 [GeForce2 MX/MX 400] && NV34 [GeForce FX 5200]

All ebuilds that could satisfy "x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers" have been masked"

These systems are used to run jffnms, postgresql rrdtool
to show network devices and their status. Nothing fancy
just 2D and kde.
These cards were supported by the Nvidia legacy driver
but now that's gone there is no support for these cards. So I guess I'd like to replace them with something that is open source on the driver, so as to keep support a long time. (perhaps an old ATI card?)
I think they are AGP 4 motherboards.

I intend to use them for a long time as to drive a graphical display for network monitoring and management.

Any low cost suggestions are most welcome, particularly something
that is open source on the driver, so I can keep them useful
for a long time.

James

I have this card as reported by lspci:

02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200] (rev a1)

This is the driver that I use:

[I--] [ -] x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-169.09-r1 (0)

This is the setting in my make.conf file for this card:

VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia"

It all seems to work fine here so may be worth a try to see if it will work for you as well. I use KDE here and the video works very well for a older card.

Hope that helps.

Dale

:-)  :-)