Hi, I am new to Gentoo so accept my apologies if this is a blatently
stupid question. I want to install the latest version of a package on our
site, on checking the various gentoo boxes I discovered that the versions
of the package varied a lot. therefore I ran "emerge --sync" this worked
fine but finished with the message that a new portage was available and
that I should run the command in the above subject field, and then update
ALL my config files, I am worried that I mess up my kernel by proceeding,
I have checked the wiki and read through the emerge docs, but it is still
not totally clear to me, Any help or suggested further reading very much
appreciated.

Thanks, Boba.