- If your local backup becomes corrupt, then so does your remote backup, except if you are quick enough to disable the rsync step.

That's why I use rdiff-backup.

Yes, me too, but *inside* the encrypted container.

- If you have disconnection during the rsync step (happened to me last night), your remote backup is temporarily corrupted.

Shouldn't rsync do this on its own? There is an option --inplace
described with:

"This causes rsync not to create a new copy of the file and then move it
into place.  Instead rsync  will  overwrite  the existing  file,
meaning that the rsync algorithm can't accomplish the full amount of
network reduction it might be able to otherwise (since it does not yet
try to sort data matches).  One exception to this is if you combine the
option  with --backup, since rsync is smart enough to use the backup
file as the basis file for the transfer.
This  option  is  useful for transfer of large files with block-based
changes or appended data, and also on systems that are disk bound, not
network bound.

The option implies --partial (since an interrupted transfer does not
delete the file), but conflicts with  --partial-dir and --delay-updates.
Prior to rsync 2.6.4 --inplace was also incompatible with --compare-dest
and --link-dest.

WARNING:  The  file's  data will be in an inconsistent state during the
transfer (and possibly afterward if the transfer gets interrupted), so
you should not use this option to update files that are in use.  Also
note  that  rsync  will be unable to update a file in-place that is not
writable by the receiving user."

Yes, I use --inplace, but it will still leave the remote backup inconsistent in case of an interrupted transfer. And not using it is not an option for a 25GB file (and paying for capacity on the receiving end).

-- Remy