On Tuesday 29 April 2008, John covici wrote:

> OK, what will I gain if I change the profile from
> /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/2006.1/desktop to
> /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/2007.0  (I don't even have a
> 2008.0 -- maybe I need to sync)?  Will it unmaks useful packages or
> someting?

diff is your friend here. Both profiles have the same grandparent so
there are just a few pairs of files to run diff on (omitting the
headers and comments). Unfortunately the right hand file name in the
diff output is marked with a ">" which will upset your mailer's quote
tracking :-(   :

[EMAIL PROTECTED] /var/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86 $ diff -r 2006.1/
2007.0/

diff -r 2006.1/desktop/make.defaults 2007.0/desktop/make.defaults
5,7c5
< STAGE1_USE="nptl nptlonly unicode"
<
< USE="alsa arts cairo cdr dbus dvd dvdr eds emboss encode esd fam
firefox gif gnome gpm gstreamer gtk hal jpeg kde ldap mad mikmod mp3
mpeg ogg opengl oss png qt3 qt4 quicktime sdl spell truetype vorbis
win32codecs unicode X xml xv"
---
> USE="acpi alsa arts cairo cdr dbus dvd dvdr dvdread eds emboss encode
esd evo fam firefox gif gnome gpm gstreamer gtk hal jpeg kde kerberos
ldap mad mikmod mp3 mpeg ogg opengl oss pdf png qt3 qt3support qt4
quicktime sdl spell svg tiff truetype vorbis win32codecs unicode X xml
xv"

diff -r 2006.1/desktop/virtuals 2007.0/desktop/virtuals
4a5
> virtual/cdrtools             app-cdr/cdrkit

diff -r 2006.1/make.defaults 2007.0/make.defaults
9,10c8,10
< # These USE flags are what is common between the various sub-profiles.
< USE="cups gdbm gpm nptl nptlonly ppds unicode"
---
> # These USE flags are what is common between the various sub-profiles.
Stages 2
> # and 3 are built against these, so be careful what you add.
> USE="acl cups gdbm gpm nptl nptlonly unicode"

diff -r 2006.1/server/profile.bashrc 2007.0/server/profile.bashrc
5c5
< if [ "${EBUILD_PHASE}" == "setup" ]
---
> if [[ "${EBUILD_PHASE}" == "setup" ]]
7c7
<       if [ ! "${I_KNOW_WHAT_I_AM_DOING}" == "yes" ]
---
>       if [[ ! "${I_KNOW_WHAT_I_AM_DOING}" == "yes" ]]

explicitly override in make.conf), cdrkit is the default cdrtools
package, and the .bashrc for the shell that portage uses has had some
syntax corrected to a better form.

Chances are you are already using acpi, pdf, svg and tiff USE flags so
these will cause no change if you upgrade your profile. The few
packages in the tree that USE kerberos may need to be recompiled if
this flag changes for you

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com