Alan McKinnon wrote:
On Wednesday 30 April 2008, John P. Burkett wrote:
On a x86 machine operating under Gentoo Linux, I'm having persistent
difficulty in emerging R and tcltk in a manner that allows the former
to find the latter.  On this machine, in R version 2.6.1, the command
library(tcltk) elicits the following response:
Error in firstlib(which.lib.loc, package) :
   Tcl/Tk support is not available on this system
Error in library(tcltk) : .First.lib failed for 'tcltk'

After first encountering this problem, I took the following steps:
[snip]
4. Set a tcltk USE flag for R by appending the line dev-lang/R tcltk
to my /etc/portage/package.use file.

eix reveals that the required USE flag is in fact "tk"

Thanks, Alan! Changing the USE flag from tcltk to tk, as you suggested, was the key to getting R to find tcltk. After making that change, doing "emerge -C R" and "emerge R" was enough to correct the problem.

Best regards,
John

--
John P. Burkett
Department of Environmental and Natural Resource Economics

phone (401) 874-9195